Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Story of my LIFE...

Otherwise entitled: "As if I needed another reason to despise them."

Okay, so mainly I'm disappointed that I FINALLY put my foot down on something and now it's come back to bite me. Let me sum up, since there's a scheduled blogspot outage in half an hour. Apparently that's the hazard of blogging at two in the morning after your homework's done.

We've had this psycholinguistics assignment for a week, right? Right. And we HAVE to do it in groups because for some reason Professor Bond just lo-OVES forcing me to share my work with classmates. So it's me and Jon and Jordan, which is fine, and then she sticks this other girl in our group that none of us know. We get our data, split up the work, exchange email addresses and get on with our lives.

Deadline starts approaching, Jon and Jordan send me their sections...still no word from this girl. I wrote my sections and put the paper together at 5:00 this evening, and still no idea if she was even out there. So I'm like "Alright, I've got a TON of other homework to do tonight. I want this thing done and I don't care if I have to write it to get it done," and I write her sections for her. Then I get to thinking...

You know what, a fat lot of good SHE did us. I'm not even going to put her name on the paper--she has literally contributed NOTHING at this point.

So I print the paper out, mainly as a momento of me FINALLY standing up and not letting myself get walked on. Without her name on it. Then I email it to the guys and say "Hey, I wrote her sections for her and if I don't hear from her by 11:00 tonight she's off the paper."

Being good and wanting to give her a chance, I email her too. "Hey, it's your group member here. I finished and printed the paper, but if you can send me your section by 11:00 tonight when I shut off my computer, I'll put your version in instead and put your name on it. You should know, unless I hear from you I'm not putting your name on this paper. Hope to hear from you,* Grace."

(*lie, but a polite lie, I guess...)

I celebrate. I prance around and congratulate myself. I DESERVED to say that! This girl's had a week to do this DINKY little section of the paper and she blew it, and I've given her a completely fair five-hour deadline. I'm not going to put someone else's name on my work, and I'm simultaneously being fair and sending out one last ultimatum.

I ended up staying up past 11, but that's not the point. SHE MISSED THE DEADLINE. That's what makes me so angry. She MISSED IT fair and square. I check my email at 11:15--nothing. Then I do my syntax homework. Check again. Nothing. Do my translation homework, and check my email at 1:15 AM, a clear two hours after her last chance to get her name on the paper. And she has the nerve to send me this email full of scathing and excuses.

"Sorry, I was in Alden this whole time working on another project. And I WAS in class today so why didn't you say anything then? and I'm sorry I didn't get this in sooner you just didn't give me much to work with. Guess I missed your 'deadline,' I sure hope you check your email in the morning. Do with this paragraph what you will."

She sent it to me in a file format I cannot open. Annoyance to insult.

All of this and I'm supposed to what...work with her? Believe that she was working on a group project for SIX HOURS until 1:00 in the morning and even didn't have time to shoot me an email saying "I got your email and it might be later than 11, but I'll have it"? No attempt to work with me whatsoever, me finally having the guts to demand what's fair for myself, and this is what I get?

At first I thought I felt bad for her, felt bad for the way I said it, but for once I feel like I deserve to be ticked off at this girl. I almost hit the 'reply' button and then stopped myself. No way, Grace, you told her you wouldn't touch your email after 11, so don't you let her call your bluff. Instead I vent to my blog, because I'm starting to wonder whether venting into cyberspace might make me less likely to vent in person. I know I get annoyed with stuff easily, but DARN IT THIS ONE IS REALLY FAIR!

Have you guessed it yet? Have you guessed that one detail that just takes the cake?

Oh yeah. Her major--definitely HSLS.

1 comment:

Switz said...

I hate group projects!